top of page


Although the Yule family eventually moved to the Wairarapa, and no-one of this family appear to have been buried at Blackbridge, they had a considerable influence at what was until 1890 the Presbyterian Chapel in the Hutt. 

Alexander and Elizabeth Yule arrived at Petone on the Bengal Merchant on 20 February 1840, the ship having left Greenock on 30 October 1839.

The passenger list shows:

•           Yule

•           Alexander 34 Sawyer Lanarkshire. (Website records Lancashire)

•           Elizabeth 29

•           Grace 10

•           Robert 7

•           Mary 1

Also listed is Moses Yule, aged 24, a farm servant.

Alexander married Elizabeth Stevenson in 1830, and the first two children listed on the passenger list were children of this marriage. Elizabeth died 5 years later. She was doing the washing in a copper bowl over a fire when her clothes caught alight. Alexander re-married in 1837 to Elizabeth Watson.

A son was born at Petone one month after arrival and their daughter Mary was drowned in a flood in the Hutt River soon after. They were to have another eight children.

The family settled in the Hutt Valley and Alexander applied for a Crown Grant of land.

“No.371 Alexander YULE Wellington Crown Grant 10 acres part Country section 49 Lower Hutt district date 04 June 1852 Claim No.46.”

At the same time William Milne received a grant of 10 acres in the same section, and a few years later he and Grace Yule were married. 

When the land for the Presbyterian Chapel was purchased, both Alexander Yule and William Milne were among the trustees. The transfer was recorded in 1852, but the land must have been purchased about 1848.

Alexander Milne was also involved in the wider work of the Presbyterian Church.

Wellington Independent, 15 November 1861, PRESBYTERY OF WELLINGTON.

The Ministers and Elders of the Presbyterian Church in this Province having expressed a desire to take advantage of the presence of their brethren, from some of the other Provinces, now on their way to Dunedin, to revive the Presbytery of Wellington, a meeting with a view to this object was held on the 12th inst., in the Presbyterian Manse Woolcombe street. There were present the Reverends John Moir, Wellington James Duncan, Hutt; Patrick Calder, Nelson and David Bruce, Auckland and the following Elders, viz., Alexander Yule, Hutt; Archibald Clark, Auckland and George McCray, Nelson. The Rev. P. Calder, was elected Moderator, pro tempore, and Mr. Bruce, was pro tempore appointed clerk.

About 1860 the family moved to the Wairarapa.

Wellington Independent, 1336, 29 March 1859. CROWN GRANTS. Crown Land's Office, Wellington, 18th March, 1859. Alexander Yule 43a 2r 17p Featherston.

Shortly afterwards the following report appeared in the Wellington Independent.

Wellington Independent, 29 April 1859, Accident at the Hutt — On Tuesday last, the 26th Inst, a son of Mr. Alexander Yule's Hutt, met with a very serious accident. The following are the particulars, so far as we have been able to glean. It appears that George Yule, a lad of 13 years of age, was in the habit of driving his father's cart between Wellington and the Hutt. On the morning in question he proceeded to Messrs. Duncan & Donald's saw mill, Upper Hutt, for a load of lumber. During the time he was at the mill, the circular saw had become hot from friction, and George was asked to throw some water on it. Whilst in the act of throwing the water on the saw, his blue shirt caught in its teeth, and the band was instantly severed from the arm at the wrist. Prompt surgical assistance was obtained, and after stopping the hemorrhage the patient was conveyed to his residence. On arrival there, it was found necessary to amputate the arm, the ligaments and arteries having been dreadfully stretched and torn. He is doing well at present, indeed much better than might expected; taking into consideration the severity of the accident.

The son appeared to have made a good recovery.

Wellington Independent, 3 January 1867. The next event was likewise a FOOT RACE, three times round the course prizes the same as in the last race. This was an excellent race, and one of the best events of the day. Ten started. The running for the first two laps lay between Kirwan and Woodman, who kept close on each other's heels through the whole of that, distance, and seemed determined to have everything their own way but at the end of the second round their breath seemed to be entirely spent, when Yule (who, by the bye, labours under the disadvantage of having only one arm) rushed in front, maintained his lead to the end, and won easily, beating McMasters, who was second.

(George Watson Yule died 1916 aged 70)

Wellington Independent, 5 March 1861, SALE OF VALUABLE DRAUGHT HORSES, ON THE HUTT MARKET DAY, Wednesday. 6th March, 1861. MR. J. H. Wallace Has received instructions FROM MR. ALEXANDER YULE, TO SELL BY PUBLIC AUCTION, At his residence, near to Mr. Buckridge's, Hutt, ON WEDNESDAY, 6th MARCH 1861. At 12 o'clock precisely, Previously to the Hutt Market, six very Valuable and well-known Draught Horses Two Timber Drays Four sets Trace Harness Two sets Shaft Harness One Cart and Harness One Chestnut Gelding, thoroughly broken in to Saddle, &c. The above presents an opportunity that seldom offers of parties purchasing really useful and valuable horses, well known for their good qualities. Terms at Sale. 25th February. 1861.

Wellington Independent, 19 November 1872. WAIRARAPA. A committee meeting was held in the Presbyterian Church on Wednesday, the 13th instant, Mr A. Yule, sen., in the chair. Plans of the intended manse were laid upon the table, and approved of by the committee. The erection will be proceeded with immediately.

Alexander Yule was a foundation member of the Knox Church in Masterton (now St Luke's Union Church). He died on 25 April 1890, aged 84 years and is buried in the Masterton Early Settler's Cemetery with his wife Elizabeth who died on 3 June 1903, aged 92 years.

bottom of page